Wednesday, January 28, 2015

january budget

Banana Republic skirt: originally $100 + 40% off + $40 reward = $18
ASOS ring: $11
Loft Blouse: originally $60, on sale + 70% off = $16
Banana Republic Wool coat: originally $250, on sale + 40% off = $120
Not pictures: this necklace I purchased from Katrina = $20

January Budget: $185

Quarterly budget: $500 + $180 (sold on eBay) - $266 in November - $108 in December - $185 in January = $121 left over

Another quarterly budget done! In these three months, I've purchased 1 dress, 1 skirt, 4 tops, 1 pair of boots, 3 accessories, and 1 coat. I really like that I have a bit more flexibility with the budget month to month, so that if I come across a beautiful coat for more than 50% off, I can buy it because I didn't spend as much in a previous month.

So what did I get this month? Well, I've decided to keep the midi skirt - it's just too much fun, and as you can see, I got a really great deal by hoarding reward points. The blouse (which is still available and on sale) was something I had been eyeing for a while, and eventually purchased during a crazy 70% off sale. I think it'll be a great blouse for when clinical rotations start because it adds interest underneath the white coat without being inappropriate or in the way. The ring is something I added to an order to get free shipping, and as it turns out, I hated the sweater I actually ordered but loved the ring.

I've had some people ask about how I incorporate work out clothes into my budget, and the short answer is that I don't. I consider work out clothes under the same category as underwear and so on. I very rarely buy work out clothes (most of mine are free shirts from college haha), so I choose not to include them here because they aren't a part of my normal wardrobe. I did buy new tennis shoes (in bright pink!) and a pair of lululemon crops. I considered it a reward to myself for sticking to this new healthier lifestyle - I'm going to the gym about three times a week now, so a little extra motivation via cute clothes is nice. Now, if I decide to start hoarding work out clothes, I'll have to reconsider my budget approach, but for now this works for me.


For those of you who are new to my budget posts, I wanted to explain why I include my c/o items here. While I never set out to be a "budget" blogger, I do share where my money goes every month. I want to be completely transparent about what is going into my closet every month, so I tell you what I received for free from companies I work with. I was very lucky to receive a couple of beautiful pieces this month. I used some of my Shopbop credits to buy a BB Dakota cardigan, and Leah Lerner sent me this amazing leather tote.

So that was January. Looking ahead, I'm starting a new quarterly budget, which is always a nice fresh start. I don't have many plans yet. The only thing I'd really like to find is a pair of cognac wedges or heels. I wear cognac leather so often that it would be nice to give my ballet flats a rest. I'm thinking something along the lines of this style - fancy enough to dress up, but not uncomfortable.

I'd love to hear how your budgeting went this month! Add your link below, and as always, please link back to this post so your readers can discover other budgeting bloggers!